Propranolol for Anxiety
Propranolol for anxiety and other problems such as blood pressure are treated using Propranolol. Propranolol belongs to a group of medicines called beta-blockers. They are designed to work on the heart and blood vessels.
Propranolol for Anxiety can help by slowing a fast heartbeat and reducing the amount of trembling someone is experiencing. It works by stopping messages sent by certain nerves from the brain to the heart. These nerves are called beta-adrenergic receptors and when blocked the heart beats more slowly and with less force, giving you the calming effect.
Propranolol 10mg, 40mg, and 80mg
Propranolol 10mg, 40mg, and 80mg are the different strengths that Propranolol is sold as. The higher the number of milligrams, the higher the strength of propranolol. Different strengths are prescribed for different conditions. These can range anywhere from situational anxiety, general anxiety disorder, migraine prevention, to treating high blood pressure.
Propranolol 10mg, 40mg, and 80mg can be currently purchased from MedsOnline247.
Propranolol Side Effects
Like with all medicine, Propranolol Side Effects can occur but these aren’t experienced by everyone. If you experience any of these Propranolol Side Effects, especially if any of them are getting progressively worse, speak to your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
Below is a list of Propranolol Side Effects:
Stop treatment and contact a doctor at once if you have the following symptoms:
- Intolerance to Propranolol tablets such as slow heart rate and low blood pressure causing dizziness, light headed symptoms, fainting or blurred vision.
- Allergic reaction such as itching, difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue.
- Tiredness and/or weakness, cold extremities, difficulty sleeping
- Slow or irregular heartbeat, Raynaud’s syndrome
- Feeling or being sick, diarrhoea
- This medicine may alter the amount and types of blood cells. If your doctor orders a blood test during this period, you need to tell him you’re taking propranolol and it could affect the results.
- Worsening of heart failure, heart block, low blood pressure, fainting when standing, dizziness, worsening of intermittent claudication.
- Skin rash, worsening of psoriasis, hair loss, dry flaky skin, red/itchy skin, disorder characterised by blood spots, bruising and discolouring skin.
- Hallucinations, mood changes, pins and needles, psychoses, memory loss, confusion.
- Anyone with a history of asthma or breathing problems may have difficulty in breathing.
- Dry eyes, visual disturbances.
- Development or worsening of myasthenia gravis (disorder involving muscle weakness, difficulty chewing or swallowing and slurred speech).
Propranolol and Alcohol
Propranolol and Alcohol is recommended not to be taken together. Both Propranolol and Alcohol can lower blood pressure, so taking them together can result in even lower blood pressure.
Generally taking Propranolol and alcohol together will make you feel worse.
Propranolol Dosage for Anxiety
The propranolol dosage for anxiety and other issues it can treat depend on the situation.
Below is a guide on how to take propranolol dosage for anxiety, adults.
- Anxiety treatment, 40mg before anxious situations. For any long term anxiety 40mg two or three times a day, treatment is reviewed after 6-12 months.
Propranolol can be used for other conditions (see below) however propranolol is only available from MedsOnline247 to treat anxiety
- If you have an angina, migraine or tremor, initially 40mg two or three times a day, then 12-240mg a day for angina or 80-160mg a day for migraine or tremor.
- High blood pressure – initially 80mg twice a day, then 160-320mg a day.
- Irregular/fast heartbeats, over active thyroid or enlarged heart muscle – 10-40mg three or four times a day.
- Heart attack (treatment should start 5-21 days after attack) 40mg four times a day for two to three days, then 80mg twice a day.
- Phaeochromocytoma, before an operation – 60mg a day for three days. If used for treatment, 30mg a day.
- High blood pressure within veins – initially 40mg twice a day, increasing to 80mg twice a day depending on response. Maximum dose is 160mg twice a day.
Beta Blockers Propranolol
Beta blockers Propranolol are used to treat conditions such as blood pressure and others affecting the heart. Beta blockers propranolol are known as beta-adrenergic blocking agents and are used to block the effects of adrenaline.
As a result your heart beats slower and with less force. There are different types of beta blockers, some that will affect our heart and others that affect both your heart and blood vessels. The best one for you will be chosen by your doctor, depending on any current health conditions.
What is Propranolol Used For?
We are often asked the question “What is propranolol used for?”
Propranolol can used for a number of different conditions all relating to the heart or blood vessels. Some people will take Propranolol to help with their anxiety in certain situations such as speaking in front of a large audience. Others will take it to help reduce their blood pressure, prevent any future heart attacks/disease, stroke and or chest pain caused by an angina.
Click here for further information on What is Propranolol used for?
How Quickly Does Propranolol Work for Anxiety?
One might wonder how quickly does propranolol work for anxiety? It can take anywhere between 30-60 minutes for the effects of propranolol to become noticeable. The initial 30-60 minutes can vary depending on the person and can be anywhere in-between.
The majority of people taking propranolol to treat performance anxiety use it about one hour before any stress related events.
How Long Does Propranolol Last?
How long does propranolol last? Typically propranolol has a half-life of eight to 10 hours, meaning about half of the dose will still be active within your body after the eight to 10 hour mark. The noticeable effects, however, can last for about 12 hours, slightly longer than the half-life.
Please refer to the patient information leaflet if you are still unsure about how long does propranolol last.
Alternatives to Propranolol Hydrochloride
Alternatives to Propranolol Hydrochloride are sought because of complications and risks associated with propranolol.
These Alternatives to Propranolol Hydrochloride include –
- Metoprolol (May cause fewer respiratory side effects)
Because propranolol can cover a wide arrange of conditions, including tremors or migraines, the best course of action would be to speak to your doctor to find a more suitable alternative.
You can buy Propranolol UK and other medications from MedsOnline247. Buy Propranolol online and fill in the consultation form today.
How do I take propranolol?
If using Propranolol to combat performance anxiety, take 10-40mg, 20-30 minutes ahead of anxious situations.
To combat situational anxiety, start by taking one 10mg tablet two to three times per day. The dose may be increased to 40mg two to three times per day.
Driving and using machines
Propranolol tablets may cause visual disturbances, hallucinations, fatigue,
mental confusion, dizziness or tiredness. Make sure you are not affected
before you drive or operate machinery.
tablets contain Lactose
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some
sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product, as it
tablets contain Carmoisine (E122)
Propranolol tablets contain carmoisine (E122) which may cause allergicreactions.
You are advised to avoid alcohol whilst taking this medicine
If you are going to have an anaesthetic or any blood or urine tests, please tell your
doctor or dentist that you are taking Propranolol tablets
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Propranolol tablets are not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant
or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before taking this medicine.